Monday, October 29, 2007

A Silent Death...

Today was one of those days… those days when one does not feel like doing anything and sits around idly… thinking about the mountain of tasks left to be done but not taking the effort to move a limb and do them! I was idly skimming through a 3 days old paper when an article caught my attention. It was called Rangoli Days. Interesting, I thought and I read on.

The writer of this article describes how she heard the Rangoli seller shouting out her wares on the street one day and how it brought back fond memories of two decades ago when Rangolis were ubiquitous. In her own words, she says, “those were the times when the lady of the house would wash the front yard, pick up her bowl of Rangoli powder, bend double and with deft fingers, dab dots and dashes into an interesting motif. Then the bowl would be tucked away into a corner, usually on a window sill, and she would vanish indoors to complete her other chores. The Rangoli was a sign of welcome, and indication that the house was ready for a brand new day.” She goes on to describe how she and her friends would skip around the designs carefully on their way to school and back and how, on festival days, the Rangolis were a lot bigger and more colorful with the sprinkling of petals and flowers for the festive effect.

This article pulled a few chords in my own heart and I reminisced about the time when I was about five. There are some events in one’s life which, however insignificant they are, one never forgets. They stick in our minds. Memories of everyday, insignificant events. Insignificant memories, but priceless, when one feels nostalgic and reflects on the past to remember the good old days. My Rangoli memories were some of them. I was always amazed by how my Grandma would draw huge, beautiful patterns outside the threshold every morning. Perfect to the minutest detail with not a line, nay, not even a dot out of place. Regal peacocks, burning diyas, flowers, beautiful ladies holding lamps… each pattern had its own story to tell. She would allow me to dot the plot once in a while, gently correcting my grip and teaching me the right way to hold the powder in my fingers to get thin and straight lines. I still remember my first pattern - one with lamps and a flower in the middle. The lines were awry and the dots were out of place but my grandma applauded me and gave me one of her special laddoos as a reward. And gazing at my creation, I experienced a joy I’d never experienced before. I’m sure Rembrandt or Picasso wouldn’t have been happier after their first painting!

Then there was the time when the neighbor aunty got a permanent Rangoli pattern painted on her threshold. When my grandma saw this she marched to her house and demanded:

“Why Savithri? Why did you get a Rangoli painted??! Your Rangolis were always so good!”

Savithri aunty said “I know Kamala, but I’m not getting any younger you see. It’s getting really difficult for me to get up so early in the morning every day. And my daughter in law does not have time in the mornings for a Rangoli.

“Well, that’s really sad! But that’s not going to happen in my place! I’ll never get a pattern painted outside my threshold however old and blind I become!” retorted my grandma.

To this day, the first thing that welcomes me when I go back home from college is the beautiful pattern on our threshold complete with fragrant incense sticks sticking out of the mud in the tulsi pot. I always smile at this and look around. I see either bare thresholds or painted patterns at the neighbors’ doors. Or even a car and a two wheeler parked in the place which rightfully belongs to the Rangoli!

It’s really sad actually. Globalisation and modernization are doing a lot of good things – double incomes, lots of other facilities… but they are also eating into our lives. Into the time which was usually reserved for things which truly matter. Things like eating dinner together as a family, or taking a walk together or decorating the our homes on festive occasions. Why, even celebrating festivals has become perfunctory now…

And simple traditions like drawing a Rangoli… well, they just seem to be dying a silent death…

6 comments:

  1. hmm.... i remember.. i remember... mum draws simple designs at home.. nothing elaborate.
    it's not globalization da.... just that people don't have enough inclination. if people want, they can draw rangolis, have dinner with family, decorate the house for festivals... people have a screwed-up idea of life and the world and messed-up priorities, and _they_ are to blame for that, not globalization.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well.. thought provoking article.. I do agree that Globalisation is totally messing with our lives, but its also our fault that we are allowing it to happen..
    Unavoidable though... U just cant help being pulled in...
    Sad,but unavoidable....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog made me feel homesick...the last para really scares me...It brings back the question to my mind "after I join the job will I have time to have dinner with my mom and dad??".Well... dont want to think about tht now..!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah... i agree with priya... globalisation may not be the sole reason but i used it for the want of a better word.. it's sad and scary... the rangoli may be just one of these things... there may be so many other such customs which have already become extinct! really sad... it's avoidable though... all it takes is some of our 'precious' time and a little thought...to do the things we really want to do... not just the ones we have to or are obligated to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How true... Damn! I feel so helpless (about it)...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep writing!! Well, it's more about defining our priorities in life. If you spend a lot of your time in Rangolis today, you might miss on something bigger. But as long as you enjoy doing it, it's fine. It's about striking the right balance.

    drawing rangolis is a way of increasing concentration and patience. I prefer playing chess!! [;)]

    ReplyDelete